In 2018, Haifa Ghandour started her MASS AWIS presidential term with a very specific objective in mind: to provide effective and affordable leadership development opportunities for women in science. She recruited Dr. Angeliki Diane Rigos and Dr. Cheryl Vaughan to help develop and launch the inaugural program, which was run from January to June in 2019. They continue to serve as program directors and committee co-chairs.
In line with the MASS AWIS mission, the Leadership Program provides professional development to women in STEM. The program is designed for women in early- and mid-career stages and serves to further enhance the benefits of MASS AWIS membership. Additionally, the program aims to:
- Build leadership skills and professional presence
- Create a strong network of program alumnae
In the workplace, becoming an effective leader requires a set of perspectives, skills, and responsibilities that can be very challenging to master without training.
The Leadership Program consists of:
- 16 hours of classroom training; time commitment is 3-4 hours once or twice a month on Tuesday evenings, from the end of January through June.
- The workshops are developed and primarily facilitated by Dr. Angeliki Diane Rigos and Dr. Cheryl Vaughan, with contributions from other volunteer facilitators as needed.
- Discussion topics include: understanding self/others, communication skills, conflict management, building influence, negotiation and creating teams.
- Program sessions are discussion-based and activity-driven.
- Readings, assessments, and exercises are distributed prior to each session. Additional readings on relevant material will be recommended, and peer learning will be available through a discussion forum with the cohort.
- Application opens between mid-November and early December each year.
- All program participants must be members of MASS AWIS (Join now!).
- Enrollment is limited to 25 participants.
- Each applicant will be notified of their status within the program in January.
- Upon acceptance pay program fee $150, which covers cost of program events, print materials, and food served at each session.
- Applicants who do not make it into the program due to size restrictions are encouraged to apply again the following year.
Leadership Program 2020
Specific dates and topics offered in our 2020 program are listed in our program flyer.
Launching our 2020 Program Applications, the MASS AWIS Leadership Committee will host a free event/workshop:
Experiencing Meditation as a Gateway to Enhancing Leadership
Tuesday, December 3rd, 2019
Click here for more info
Ready to apply? Please complete the application. The program does fill up, so sign up early if you are interested in participating!
Apply here for the Leadership Program – Due January 6th, 2020
This event series is exclusive to MASS AWIS members registered with National AWIS, with paid Massachusetts chapter dues or a MASS AWIS student chapter member.
Join MASS AWIS today for access to this series and other exclusive opportunities.