Annual MASS AWIS Mentoring Circle Program
A mentoring circle is a group of individuals that meet together on a regular basis for an agreed upon length of time. The group’s primary purpose is to help mentees accomplish two tasks:
- Set important development goals
- Build competence and character to reach those goals
The group exchanges experiences, challenges, and opportunities for the purpose of enhancing self-confidence, communication skills, leadership practices, and commitment to one’s career.
- Each mentoring group consists of 1-2 mentors and 3-5 mentees, carefully matched using information gathered from Mentee and Mentor Applications. Our mentors are an experienced group of women working in either academia or industry.
- Time commitment will be 2-6 hours per month over a 9 month period (Sept -May)
- All participants must attend a mandatory orientation session in early September, a mid-year workshop in December, and an end-of-year celebration event in May.
- All mentors must attend two mandatory mentor training workshops in late-August/early-September and January.
- All mentees must be members of MASS AWIS (Join Now!).
- There is a nominal mentee fee ($25) to defray the costs for the program events. MASS AWIS Bucks can be applied here. Mentors do not pay for the program.
- Mentor recruitment occurs in April-May of each year. Mentees are recruited in May-June of each year. The number of mentee slots available will depend on the number of mentors we were able to recruit.
Once all applications have been received, the mentoring committee will do their best to match applicants into circles based on common goals, location, and other preferences. We regret that we are not always able to place all applicants. Each applicant will be notified of their status within the program in August.
Mentoring Circles Program 2017-2018
The MASS AWIS mentoring circle program will be entering its 10th year! We have built a community of over 300 women who are setting career goals, learning critical skills and strengthening their network.
Interested in becoming a mentor or mentee? Check out our Mentor and Mentee Recruitment Flyers. And please forward these to anyone who may be interested in finding out more about the mentoring program.
Ready to Apply? Please complete the relevant application below:
Click to apply to be a Mentor – Due July 5, 2017
Click to apply to be a Mentee – Due August 15, 2017
The program does fill up, so sign up early if you are interested in participating!
Have more questions about being a mentor or mentee?
Check out the Mentoring Circles brochure or read the Nature Biotechnology article by MASS AWIS 2011 President: Masha Hareli, “A Mentoring Program for Women Scientists Meets a Pressing Need”.
Please also feel free to contact the Mentoring Committee Chairs: Adelajda Zorba and Daniela Vecchio.
Feedback from past Participants:
“Personally the best thing I got out of this circle was the support and encouragement from everyone. It felt really good to set some concrete goals for personal/career development, and even better to be able to check them off when completed!” -Elizabeth Heilig, mentee
“As a mentor, I enjoyed seeing how our mentoring circle recognized, set, and achieved goals throughout the year. Even though I was a mentor, my mentees taught me a lot about myself and helped me figure out how to balance my hectic schedule.” -Lynnelle Pittet, mentor