- This event has passed.
2018 MIT Communications Lab Summer Institute
Monday, June 18, 2018 - Thursday, June 21, 2018
Excited about communication and leadership skills for scientist?
The Summer Institute is a hands-on strategic-planning workshop for staff, students, and postdocs who are excited to improve science communication. Design science communication resources for your community. Learn strategic planning and management skills.
- Learn the MIT Communications Lab model for discipline-specific, peer-to-peer science communication coaching
- Adapt the model for their own communities
- Connect and collaborate with a network of educational entrepreneurs to share science communication experiences and best practices
- Create a strategic plan for launching their own Communication Labs
Each day, different concepts will be broken down and used to support you in drafting a strategic plan.
- Day 1, Educational Philosophy: Learn our theory and practices for effective science communication and coaching
- Day 2, Sociology + Anthropology: Analyze your community’s motivations and behaviors to design science communication resources that work for them
- Day 3, Customer Service + Management: Plan how to provide a high-quality experience at all levels of your organization
- Day 4, Business + Innovation: Design a business model and ensure an innovation-focused mindset for your Communication Lab
See their website here for full details.
The MIT Communication Lab is a peer-to-peer organization that teaches technical and professional communication skills specifically to STEM communities. Since 2013, we’ve trained MIT grad students and postdocs as discipline-specific communication coaches, assisting their peers with everything from figure design to faculty applications, and gaining leadership and mentorship skills along the way. Since launching in one MIT department, the Communication Lab model has spread across 5 MIT departments and 2 other institutions.
MASS AWIS is the Massachusetts Chapter of the National Association for Women in Sciences. Our mission is to support women in all scientific fields and to achieve equity and full participation for women in science, mathematics, engineering, and technology. Our events and membership are open for the public regardless of their gender, professional background, or career level.